The story of this Macro lens has already morphed into a saga somehow.
So, I managed to find someone else that shoots film on an AE-1 Program. That person happens to be Jules’ officemate and discovered this fact when we attended her holiday party one evening. After gawking over her camera and picking her brain, she mentioned that I could borrow her Kiron 105mm f2.8 Macro. Since I only have a 50mm f1.8 for the FD mount, I happily accepted.
Once I got home and looked up the lens on the internet did I realize what I managed to borrow. Kiron made some of the best macro lens during this period, hands down, and finding one in this good of condition would cost almost 3x the value of my camera. I was super stoked to try it out.
Well, the first roll I shot with that lens turned out to be incorrectly fed into the camera so I ended up processing a blank roll. The second roll was the black and white roll that I accidentally double exposed before the Walgreens machine almost ate it alive. The third roll was a blissfully normal roll of Kodak ISO400 that I managed to accidentally expose the first couple frames to the sun when the case popped open.
As you can tell, I’m still learning this film thing 🙂 However, the shots I managed to (finally) get from this Macro lens are amazing. I can’t wait to use it more before I have to (regretfully) return it. It’s also been interesting playing with a 105mm Macro lens as this is almost double the focal lens of the Macro lens on my digital bodies!
- My 2013 Project (aka #ProjectFilm) (joesterne.com)